From the temporary occupations of the cave “la Petxina” between the years 130,000 to 35,000 BC. from the Neanderthal man, up to the present time, it can be said that in Bellus have left their mark an endless number of different people.
Our municipal term has been inhabited in different times by:
Iberos, who left as a sample of their passage, two settlements of the Bronze Age, in the “tossal Redó” and in the “tossal del Caldero”
Romans, who used to go to the markets of saetabis (Xàtiva), to sell surplus wine and oil.
Muslims, who contributed with all their knowledge to the agriculture and water. They built a water channel from Bellús, passing through the “Estret de les aïgues”, which supplied water to Xàtiva. They were definitively expelled from our lands in 1609.
Christians, after the expulsion of the Moors, Bellus, was again inhabited, this time by Christians, thanks to the Lord Bellus and Baron de Belgida, Francesc Bellvís and Marrades, who called people from neighboring villages, to occupy and work the lands of the municipality.
On July 11, 1611, 33 villagers, together with Mr. Bellvís, signed “La Carta Pobla”, one of the most important documents of the municipality, since from that moment, Bellús would pass from being a Moorish farm, to become a town.
In 1801 the Marques de Belgida began to exploit the baths of the Alfama fountain, which later became part of the famous Balneario de Bellús, whose waters were awarded for their high medicinal value by various institutions.
The Spa was demolished in 1977, in whose place is located the dam of Bellus.
HOW TO GET